Thursday, May 19, 2011

Weekly Blogging What?

It appears that I briefly fell away from the promise I made myself to write something & post it every week.  Oops!  To make up for it, here are some delicious brownies that I made:

I used the recipe found here, minus the nuts.

Since May 2-4 weekend is the traditional start of planting outdoors in this region, I've been busy prepping for, and actually planting things in the garden, in the brief respites between rainshowers for the last week. The onions, chives, garlic, thyme, oregano & strawberries all overwintered nicely, which saves me quite a bit of effort :)
So far, I've got the following seeds into the ground this season:
Yellow, white & red carrots
2 kinds of leaf lettuce (black seeded simpson & red flame)
a lettuce mix packet
a sunflower mix packet
chioggia beets (a striped variety)
yellow wax beans (they seem to have failed to germinate, so I think I'm going to have to replant these)
green beans
sugar snap peas (not as many as I'd hoped germinated, so I'll probably replant some of these as well).

I've got French Breakfast Radishes, yellow beets and several herbs waiting to be planted this coming weekend in addition to POTATOES!!
This is the first year I'm going to try growing potatoes.  The variety I got is called 'Purple Viking' and how awesome is that?!  I'm going to be sad if they get ravaged by the raccoons or squirrels.

I also stopped by the Dufferin Grove Farmer's Market on the way home today and picked up a Black Plum Tomato, Red Pear Cherry Tomato and an Italian sweet pepper variety (I don't remember what it's called at the moment). 
The last thing on the garden list for this year is to get my hands on some hot peppers - I grew Hungarian Hot Wax peppers last year and they were okay, but I'm hankering for something different.  What kind of hot peppers are you growing?

1 comment:

  1. So far I've got the strawberries and tomatoes (5 different kinds to see what I like) and some lavender in.
    This weekend the family is going to visit Jeff's mum, so I'm going to get everything else in: lettuce (iceberg and romaine), cucumbers, carrots ("tenderlong Imperator" whatever that means) and a whole lot of flowers. I let the girls pick everything but the tomatoes. :)
    No peppers for me this year, hot or otherwise... not only did I not get a single pepper last year, but even if I did, no one would eat them but me!

    ReplyDelete